And it is the middle of the year already - unbelievable!! Sure all CMC runners will be very happy that we are moving towards more daylight to be able to be out and about on the trails much longer!
What happened in June?
June was filled with socials with the Mid-year trail social warming up a very cold winter’s evening with great conversation, prizes and more food than trail junkies could eat. (This doesn’t happen often…). Thank you to Stuart McConnachie from UTCT for joining us and telling more about the amazing event. Also a big thank you to USN who sponsored awesome goodie bags and race entries to the Standard Bank Duo and Trail Challenge taking place end of July. If you are one of the lucky winners – please let me know which race you would like to enter!! The new CMC buff was also launched with great excitement at the trail social! If you haven’t bought your awesome buff yet – please scroll down for more information.
Next stop was the CMC Kit and Boerie evening – what a great evening of celebrating and acquiring new club kit!! I assume everyone has their red army gear ready to represent on the road and trails!
Getting back to running, because all social and no running, can make a dirt lover a little bit lazy… Some lesser known routes at Silvermine and Coetzenburg were tried and tested during June, and was reported as highly recommended! We will have a look at including these routes more often in the future.
If you have any ideas or suggestions for routes, please let us hear them!!
What is happening in July…
Wednesday CMSC trail runs will continue at Meerendal, Altydgedacht, Bellville Golf Course and Bloemendal, with Thursday Durbac trail runs happening at Majik Forest and Durbanville Golf Club. Please make sure that you do not cause damage to vineyards when parking and stay off the single track!! Very important – always bring your headlights and make sure that the battery is charged!! It is dark on the trails – keep yourself safe out there and don’t get hurt!
Please refer to the Cape Multi Trail FB group to download the preliminary January to December 2016 trail run schedule as well as keeping an eye on the events posted.
For those members who have recently joined – welcome!! Hope to see you on the trails soon! See below the vice captains responsible for the various routes we run. On weekends any of these runners might be leading the shorter and/or the longer pack routes. Conrad Meier, is another valuable part of our team and representing Durbac’s trail runners. For any questions, feel free to ask them during pack runs or to contact me directly.
* Bellville Golf Course - Mark Stokell
* Meerendal Wine Estate – Magda Marshall & Anton Franchi
* Altydgedacht Wine Estate - Karin Gerber & Neil Broers
* Bloemendal Wine Estate - Pauline Wilkinson & Anton Franchi
Weekly trail runs:
Wednesday at 17h45 - 7.5 & 10 km options
* Wed 06 July - Meerendal Wine Estate
* Wed 13 July - Bellville Golf Club
* Wed 20 July - Altydgedacht Wine Estate (‘Run for a Cause Trail Run’ – see info below)
* Wed 27 June - Bloemendal Wine Estate
Thursday at 17h15 - 5 & 9km options
* Thurs 07, 14, 21 July - Majik Forest Trail Run
* Thurs 28 July – Durbanville Golf Course Trail Run
Weekend Pack Runs
* Sun 3 July – Paarl Rock
* Sun 10 July – No official pack run
* Sun 17 July – Love our trails - Platteklip Gorge Clean-up
* Sun 24 July – Jonkershoek Nature Reserve, get together with CMC MTB
* Sun 31 July – No official pack run
* Please keep an eye on the FB page for informal runs being organized.
* Sat, 16 July – Bastille Day Trail Runs
* Sun, 17 July – Spur Winter Trail Series
Other Exciting News and Events
20 July 2016 - Monthly ‘Run for a Cause’ Wednesday Trail Run:
1 - 5 July is Corporate Wellness Week in South Africa and to support this very worthy cause, we will be running with TIES to create awareness of how difficult it is to achieve a work-life balance in our lives. The fact that most of us rush from work to get on the trails on Wed and Thursdays, really is a true reflection of how challenging it can be to balance work, family, exercise and social… So in celebration of getting this done, even if it is just for the one evening, come join us on Wednesday 20 July, Altydgedacht Wine Estate!
To read more on the Corporate Wellness week, follow the link below:
NOT 30 July 2016 - Dudley Trail Run:
An annual CMSC hosted trail event not to be missed!! Unfortunately, the date had to be changed - please keep an eye out for further communication regarding entries, as well as request for volunteers! As always – it will be an awesome day in the winelands for runners, friends and families, in honor of a great man, Coach Dudley.
Trail Photo Competition:
The 3rd monthly photo competition with “Friendship” as the theme for June showed that CMSC trail runners show off their true friends! Even OBS made the cut!! Once again, thank you to everyone who participated, either by uploading or liking photos!!
The winner for May 2016 is: Magda Marshall with her photo taken at Altydgedacht trail run, while helping a friend in need.
Magda wins an awesome goody bag sponsored by Hallo Pragtig, Multiscarfs, New Balance, Wintergreen, Dual Balance and NovaVit Plus. If you want to stand a chance to win the next goody bag – please keep reading…
Trail Photo Competition #4 July: “When it’s cold…”
Let's continue the snapping/posting/liking happiness! Come on, trail junkies - show us your photo interpretation of “When it’s cold…” on the trails!! And of course - the weirder, wackier and wilder - the better the chance that your photo will get the most LIKES!! You've got work to do!!
1) Entrant must be a member of CMSC and a member of the Cape Multi Trail FB Group
2) The photo must be taken during this month, July 2016
3) Photo must be posted to the competition announcement post, with description of where and when it was taken
4) The winning photo will be the photo with the most FB likes - so everyone running is eligible to take part
5) Winner will be announced during the first week of August 2016 and will receive a well-deserved goody bag! Now go out there and snap away!!
Buy CMC pepper spray and buffs at the Wednesday and Weekend trail runs
Cost: R100 per unit (cash).
Cost: R60 per buff.
Every Wednesday Evening - Giving back to the Community:
Calling all ladies! Bronwyn Franchi is collecting old running shoes, clothes and basic toiletries for young women who have survived trauma. They are participating in a research programme that includes counselling and self-care through exercise. If you are able to donate items, you can pass these onto Anton Franchi at the Wednesday trail events or you can inbox her and she will arrange to collect.
Thank you for your generosity thus far, the response has been amazing!! Let’s give these women the gift of running!
** If you have a project that gives back to the community – feel free to send me the information. I will gladly include it in the newsletter.
Information corner: Quick tips for Running in the Cold
- Come prepared with everything you may need, using drop bags or layering on your person as is practical.
- Dressing in layers is key. Today, technical materials and clothing are so thin and lightweight, there is no excuse for not carrying them along with you if you know you may be facing cold conditions. Calf or arm sleeves are a great option for added warmth and are easily removed.
- Dehydration can lead to getting too cold, so stay on top of your hydration.
- Make sure you are getting warm liquids to help warm your core. Many aid stations will have soup or oatmeal available.
- Make sure you have hats, gloves, and extra socks (wool). Even if you don’t have to replace the socks you are wearing, the extra ones make handy mitts if you need them.
- Do your due diligence: At what point in the race might you need items such as a hat or parka? Plan accordingly.
- Never underestimate night-time temperature swings, especially at altitude. Too, if you end up having to walk or stop, that’s when you get the coldest. The heat you were generating while running gets lost, and you can go into a hypothermic state, especially if your base layers are wet from sweat. So if you encounter large drops in temperature, make sure that you keep moving to generate heat, even accentuating movements more than you otherwise would.
Read more at http://running.competitor.com/2015/01/trail-running/hal-koerners-tips-winter-trail-running_121828#6XjAQFpGWXH9G0QS.99
How Running Changed My Life
** Write your story or nominate a friend that inspires you – I will contact them and twist their arm to give their motivational story a go!! It is not about boasting or thinking you are better than others. It’s about motivating others to change their lives, we have all had to start somewhere – Thinking “If he/she can do it, then I can too!!”
Now go there out, have adventures, make special memories and have a wonderful July!
(Thank you to Natalia Danilowicz for the beautiful photo taken at the Silvermine to Chapman’s Peak Trail Pack Run 19 June 2016)