Member of the Month
Thank you to Alwin and Yolanda Deale for taking the Gazebo to Theewaterskloof. It is much appreciated. Alwyn and Cornelia Liebenberg were also called up on stage at Clanwilliam Fitness fest after Cornelia, a visually impaired athlete, attempted her first triathlon under the guidance of Alwin. Thank you Yolanda, Alwin and Cornelia – keep inspiring! All Members-of-the Month for the remainder of the year will receive a USN goodie bag and Club Key Ring.
Cape Ultra Tri on Sunday 25 Sep 2016
Those who attended will agree that this was certainly a well organized event. This event offers a sprint triathlon as well as an ultra (halfiron) distance. It was a wetsuit compulsory dam swim followed by an extended run to T1. Highlights and memorable mentions include the brilliant goodie bag, Bike and Run Bag to prep us for 70.3 and IronMan, the finishers beanie, bottle and medal, the choppy chilly swim, cycling so many loops that you get to greet all your club and training mates and the trail run along all the honey combs at the end. Our club provided sterries to all the finishers – thank you CMC.
We wish to especially congratulate those who did their first spring triathlon and those who did their first HalfIronMan triathlon! Well done!
Clanwilliam Fitness Fest – Saturday 1 Oct 2016
Gosh, so many events to choose from 3km swim; 1.5km swim, biathlon, duathlon and triathlon! Held in Clanwilliam, this is traditionally the season opener. And where ever we looked, there was an athlete wearing the colours of Cape Multi. This is the event where you get to know Mr Chris Hitchcock – the renowned tri photographer, the WPTA race referees, familiarizing with bike racking and a transition area – and finally ends with the season opener after party. Podium positions were awarded to Cobus Fourie in the Duathlon and myself in the biathlon. Congrats Cobus! Alwyn Deale and Cornelia Liebenberg finished their fist guided triathlon (!) and a video of their start and finish has been shared on the tri Facebook Page. Again ice chilly cold sterries were provided to all CMC club members.
UPCOMING TRIATHLON AND RELATED EVENTS
- 22 Oct - Saturday - Jeep warrior Meerendal
- 22 Oct 2016 – Slanghoek MTB Event Iqela
- 23 Oct 2016 Slanghoek Road triathlon Iqela
- 23 October: PPA One Tonner
- 29 October: CWC Durbie Dash
- 30 Oct Landarks Half marathon
- 6 Nov 1SOMS
- 5 Nov West coast Half & full marathon
- 12 Nov Winelands half & full marathon
- 23 Nov Neil Joubert trail run
- DC 26 Nov DC Swellendam
- 2&3 Dec - Origin of trails
- 3 Dec Woolies Tri @ Paul Cluver
- 04 December: Stellenbosch Cycle Tour
- 10 Dec Jail break Iqela Doran vineyard
- 17 Dec Cape Alghalas MTB Classic https://www.facebook.com/events/964415107010901/?ti=icl
- 29 Jan 2017: 70.3 East London
- 11-12 Feb ITU CPT
- 15 Jan 2016 – Torpedo SwimRun
- 19 Feb Cape Mile Swim Grabouw http://www.stillwatersports.com/
Entries open 1 Oct:
- 19 - 21 Feb 2017 Trans Outeniqua MTB stage race http://trisport.co.za/event/trans-outeniqua-mtb
- 25-26 Feb 2017 Xterra StilwaterSport
- 30 Apr 2017 walkerbay xtreme https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1597195090586414&id=100008878149256
Training with Embark Northern Suburbs
Triathlon coach, Camm van Rensburg, Camm@embark.co.za has invited all Cape Multisport Members to attend free Embark training sessions to test the waters (‘scuse the pan) and see what Tri-group training is all about. Should you wish to make use of this fabulous opportunity, please contact Camm directly for details about sessions that we may join.
GENERAL NEWS AND WHAT’S NEW
Jailbreak – moved to another prison
The ever popular JailBreak Triathlon had to be moved to another prison following major roadworks at Brandvlei. This year, on 10 Dec, we will be escaping from Doran vineyard. Our Club was invited via a good friend and Iqela events to take part in a promo video. Thank you to each member who took part – and hope you will redeem your 40% discount voucher towards your Jailbreak Entry Fee. The promo video was made by Chris Hitchcock and was launched at Landrover City.
Torpedo SwimRun at SandyBay on 15 Jan 2017
Starting at Sandy Bay, participants will swim and run at Llandudno, Oudekraal, CapsBay and Clifton. Total distance: 16km (8 run segments total 13km; 8 swim segments – total 3km)
Cost: R1500 per team (of 2)
Open Water Swimming
Thank you for everyone who has enquired about swimming opportunities at Phisantekraal dam – it is a privilege to swim in the dam. We will be swimming in the dam until Full IronMan (PE) in April 2017. Water temp readings are taken on a Thursday where after I will post the time of the day (on a Saturday) that we’d be swimming. Please keep an eye on Facebook.
Other Opportunities: Please follow the 1Soms group on Facebook (website www.openwaterswim.co.za (or www.1soms.co.za) and Freedom Day Swim Series for sea-water open water swim opportunities. Open Water Swim opportunities with www.wpaquatics.org at Grabouw Elgin Dam is also on offer to all athletes.
CHOC has started a new project called "Medals for children with cancer" ! Where your old medals are given to children who suffer from cancer after each chemo therapy.
To find out where you can drop off your old medals phone 0861106441.
WPTA 2016 Registration Process:
2016/2017 TSA LICENSE REGISTRATION THROUGH CAPE TOWN UNICITY TRIATHLON
STEP 1: Go to Triathlon South Africa website http://www.triathlonsa.co.za/ and click on register
STEP 2: Click on WPTA logo
STEP 3: Previously registered athlete: log in to mobii account.
New athlete: select register, complete online form and activate account via link sent to your email address
STEP 4: Select the license you wish to purchase.
- 2017 WPT Senior Registration R450: Allows you to compete at SA Triathlon Championships and be elected to represent your district.
- 2017 WPT Recreational Registration R280: Allows you to compete at all other TSA sanctioned triathlons without needing to pay the temporary day license fees
- 2017 Senior TSA Registration_Technical: Only for technical officials
STEP 5: Indicate your main discipline and select the club you belong to.
PLEASE NOTE: WPT athletes must belong to a provincial club or risk having TSA membership cancelled.
STEP 6: Checkout and pay for license using your preferred method of payment. You will receive emails confirming your registration and payment.
Wishing you all of the best for the 2016/2017 Season